This blog is to document the building of a model railroad, the Paducah and Lake Erie. The free-lance design is set in the current time, and meant to replicate the coal-hauling roads of southwestern Pennsylvania. This version of the P&LE is a bridge line that derives its name from my wife's home town (and well known to Illinois Central buffs) and our former long time residence about 50 miles south of Lake Erie.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Starting RR Room


Work has started on the railroad room here in Missouri. The space is approximately 13'x27' with an additional 4'x 8' bumpout. As you can see, drywalling is well underway. As I write this, it is finished, and we're awaiting the inspector to approve it so the taping can start.

Nothing is on paper yet as far as design of the railroad; this space is about 1/3 what I had in Ohio, so I am giving it a lot of thought. I do know I want to keep the same concept, i.e., a coal-hauling railroad with a western Pennsyvania flavor. What I have not yet decided is whether or not I want to do a double-deck railroad. The obvious plus factor is doubling the space; the primary negative (in my mind) is the "under the bench" work (wiring, etc.) under the lower level. As a 300-pound 69-year-old, I'm not sure how much I want (can?) get down on the floor to work under a bench that's 36-42 inches off the floor. I'm anxiously awaiting Tony Koester's book on double deck railroads - due out, as I understand, in October or November -- in hopes it will direct me one way or the other. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy a "creepy crawler" and get started.

Actually, with the work left on the room, a couple of railroad trips in September and October, and finishing chemotherapy the first week in November, awaiting Tony's book will not delay design and construction very much.

Keep checking back for progress.

No comments: