This blog is to document the building of a model railroad, the Paducah and Lake Erie. The free-lance design is set in the current time, and meant to replicate the coal-hauling roads of southwestern Pennsylvania. This version of the P&LE is a bridge line that derives its name from my wife's home town (and well known to Illinois Central buffs) and our former long time residence about 50 miles south of Lake Erie.

Friday, November 20, 2009

A Hybrid Two-Level

I have finally settled on the design, and it will be a hybrid two-level layout. I had mentioned some time ago about realizing that I did not (could not!) want to work under a lower level only 36" - 40" off the floor. But I couldn't bring myself to give up the advantage of a hidden storage yard and extended running a second level would provide. Thus, a compromise. There will be a lower level, just 12" below the upper level. It will provide the hidden storage and the extended running. But, it will not be scenicked, and everything -- switch motors, wiring, etc, -- will be above the roadbed, keeping this old man off the floor. Sue did not want to have to call a neighbor to help me up each time I got down there to work on the railroad.

No comments: